Old February 13th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Stalls??

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Why is it so many pilots are afraid of stalls? I see it over an over
when doing flight reviews and checks. Why are pilots so afraid of
flying in the low end of the speed envelope? Isn't that where the
nasty things can happen? Isn't that where a pilot should be
comfortable and competent?
What do you think?
Its a loaded? question and comes from a 24,000+ hour pilot and active
instructor. I'd really like to see some active discussion on this
subject. I'm tired of seeing aircraft damaged by sloppy flying, and
even more tired of seeing people injured by same.
Got any comments?
Ol S&B

Well as a low time weekend warrior type I don't dislike doing stalls but I
treat it with a lot of respect. I don't go out by myself and work on stalls
unless I have a CFI with me. I take a CFI with me quite a bit because
sometimes I will go a couple months in between flights with my work schedule
so I feel a lot more comfortable with a seasoned pilot with me. Eventually
I'd like to own my own plane and fly more but work and house payments don't
make that possible right now. If I flew more I'm sure I would be more
comfortable with those maneuvers but comfort always come with experience.