Old April 19th 05, 01:03 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:19:32 -0800, "Ron Webb"
wrote:

Congrats!

It sure feels good when a project that you have been working on for a long
time finally comes to life!

If you decide to do dyno testing, I'd be interested in the results. My
Dyno2000 desktop dyno program says Blanton's claims of 260+ HP are right on
the money. It also fits well with known performance of the 5.0L Ford. This
thing is not far from a 5.0l with one bank lopped off. A 5.0L will put out
350 HP without any tricks much at all. (6/8)*350hp=262.5hp.

The others here claiming that it won't do over 200 HP must be using stock
heads, stock cam and manifolds. Dyno2000 says that will get about 200hp.

The engine cubic inch displacement is 232. The piston compression
ratio is 9 to 1. The camshaft is what amounts to a 3/4 race cam and
I'm using the typical two barrel holley carburetor. The most
outrageously modified 3.8 I've ever heard of had higher compression
ratio pistons, special connecting rods and the guy was willing to rev
it to 5300 rpm. He dynoed out at 235 horsepower and I for sure would
not want to be standing near the engine when it was doing that. I
think he may have had a different carb on it too.

Blanton was missusing the formula when he dynoed his engines. It's
simply not possible to get that much power from 232 cubic inches and a
two barrel carburetor without supercharging or revving it to 8,000
rpm.

We don't do that, we limit rpm normally to around 4,800.

All the Blanton engines that have flown have not demonstrated that
they are producing anywhere near 260 horsepower. If they were, we'd
be seeing some very high fuel consumption figures because you cannot
make 260 horsepower and yet burn only 8 gallons per hour.

The actual figures just do not add up. Most guys are getting from 180
to 200 horsepower, with most of those closer to 180.

I'd be happy to report 180 horsepower but I cannot run the engine
without the psru attached, and I don't think the engine will fit on a
dyno with it installed.

Corky Scott