Old January 11th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bronze Badge question

Here is the clue guys......."BRONZE BADGE"...... meaning, I just
learned how to fly a glider and Im trying to get to the destination
airport.

Lets start with best L/D because Im trying to not land out and time is
not an issue, and then add 1/2 the windspeed, since most gliders will
do this and still be on a reasonably decent part of the polar in terms
of sink...and get some better penetration.

I say "A" is the correct answer for a Bronze Badge level pilot since
they base their knowledge on a lot of generalizations about performance
to make inflight calculations relatively easy...

...of course the contest level pilot will have a much more refined
answer with his vast knowledge of his own glider and intimacy with its
performance specs, along with his computer instruments that he can
program for optimum results.

Ray