Old January 16th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 03:01:29 GMT, Dave S

THe only practical gripe that I could agree with is that this is a
"slippery slope" regarding airspace grabs via the TFR/"PFR" process...
otherwise, the existing structure, design and location of this
particular TFR doesnt create much of a problem (when compared to the
ADIZ, MickeyMouse TFR's, 60 mile Presidential no-fly zones, and such.

So you feel that operating a UAV on this border patrol mission at a
cost that exceeds that of operating a C-182 by several orders of
magnitude is not worth griping about? Why is a UAV the platform of
choice in this mission? It's technology is unnecessary ill suited to
the mission; the money is better spent on ground agents and
deportation funding. There is no rational justification for using
UAVs, in my opinion. It's just a way for the Bush administration to
get headlines and pander to General Atomics's business interest
without materially affecting the influx of illegals which might dry up
the cheap labor pool.

Larry -- do we know what the mission really is? I think we're all
assuming it's border patrol for drugs and/or illegal immigrants. If
you take a look at the MOA/R/A areas down there, the TFR closes a small
gap between the Fuzzy MOA and the Restricted areas around
sierra Vista. This now creates a complete "wall" along the entire
AZ and NM border. I think the TFR was the quickest and simplest
approach to the border, whereas creating a new MOA or R area
would require public comment and lots of time.