Old February 9th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

My compliments to the AAIB for taking advantage of the data. I had a very
narrow escape from a low level vortex / downburst encounter and am most
grateful.

My Oudie and Air Glide S enabled me to determine the horizontal and
vertical
wind shears.

A vortex can produce a shear of twice the wind aloft.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...DY0Q1Z6NXdsd2s

With other similar accidents I am aware of, the windshear is downwind of
higher terrain or a large building. This accident is different in that the
higher
terrain is absent, but the air flow disturbance seems to have been
generated by
the change in slope profile.