Old July 22nd 03, 03:39 AM
Pat Thronson

C'mon Corky, I could blast the same stuff as you in 15 min., blow down and
prime in 15 min., clean up in 15 min, (just stirring it up)
Seriously dude, you should try Starblast tm ~40-60 size, (2.5-3.0 surface
profile 100 psi). It is a lot cleaner, looks and cuts a lot like silica but
very little dust. The only problem is the availability of it, as I believe
it is only made in Florida, or find a staging area. Copper/coal slag is
better for economy blasting.
If it was me, I would be more incline to use a complete 2-part coating
system including the top coat.

"The mask is on while mixing as this stuff too is dangerous."

I have seen painters throw cigs in paint cans and not go boom. I have seen
them smoke inside confined spaces (active ventilation) and not go boom,
although I have heard of them getting blown out of a tank, so take that as a
negative for smoking while painting. If you really want to get paranoid OSHA
requires your paint sprayer and lines to be grounded (static electricity).

"Even at 100 psi and decent sand flow, sand blasting anything takes time."

If a production blaster cannot blast 1,000 sq. feet to a SSPC-SP-10 in a day
he will be reconsidered for the position.
I would suggest using welding gloves to rotate your pieces while blasting,
less clamp time.
Other than adding my 2 cents, A worthy post.

Best advice; follow directions from the manufacture (read paint can),

And to the next post, blasting is always better than sanding (more even
surface profile), just takes longer for setup and disposal.

Pat Thronson NACE #1193