Old July 19th 03, 12:03 AM
Gooneybird

"Brian Colwell" wrote in message
. ca...

"Gooneybird" wrote in message

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:31:57 +0300, bsh wrote in
The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all
government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest
step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.

The action of the French Culture Ministry would seem a bit moot given
the fact that English is now the official language of the European
Union.

I don't know how moot it is, but it sure looks childish and petty to me.

seriously doubt that very many Frenchmen really care that the five letter
acronym (email) is rooted in the English language rather than the French.

It's
shorter than the Gallic substitute for it, and therefore more convenient

even
for French users of the Internet.

Next thing we know, some brain-dead idealogue will be insisting that we

remove
"a la carte" from all of our English language menus. Hopefully, we won't

sink
to that level.

George Z.

Want to bet on it George...:-))

Not only "no" but an emphatic "hell, no!" (^-^)))

George Z.