Old February 18th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Vertical stabilizers

Speaking of below 250 knot aircraft, does it really matter much what shape
they make the vertical stabilizer?

They seem to come in all kinds of shapes... de Havilland favored
elliptical, Cessna favors a swept back trapezoid, Mooney swept forward...
etc.

Aerodynamically speaking, what difference does it's shape make? I guess
sweeping back creates a bit less drag than straight vertical. But other
than that, we're not generating induced drag because it's not generating
lift. It seems like area should be the only consideration.

--
Dallas