Old December 26th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Default Seeking advice- checkride tips

Terence Wilson wrote:
I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per flight, most
of the time I catch the screw-ups myself and fix them in a reasonable
time.

That said, I was wondering whether the experienced contributers here
might offer some advice for the day of my check-ride. My main concern
is that I might be so nervous that I bungle the easy stuff.

The best advice is to simply catch and correct the screw-ups in a timely
manner. That will cut it with most DEs assuming the screw-ups don't
make is such that "the outcome of the maneuver or flight" is in
question. Few of us fly perfect flights. The key is to keep the
mistakes few and minor and correct them promptly.

It doesn't take a perfect flight to pass a check ride. It does take
decent flying skill and sound judgment. For example, if you both an
approach such that you aren't stabilized sufficiently for landing, go
around! Trying to salvage a good landing from a bad approach typically
isn't wise and likely will lose points on the judgment front.

Matt