Old November 28th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default BMW engine aircraft suitable?

On Nov 27, 5:22*pm, cavelamb wrote:
bildan wrote:
On Nov 27, 1:57 pm, Philippe * wrote:
Ralf Mueller a écrit:

At this time, nobody built an alternate engine lighter than an
aircraft design engine.
are you joking? 193 HP @ 60 Kg that is turbine land.....
* Rendez-vous when this engine will fly....
*At this time, yes, it is jokes.

*This BMW engine is not easy to use, it'built on the same sheme than
japenese engines.

--
une télé qui s'éteint et c'est un cerveau qui s'éveille
* * Philippe Vessaire *Ò¿Ó¬

Not sure about the BMW but most of these motorcycle in-line 4's have a
separate cylinder block and a split crankcase a la Lycoming/
Continental. *All the expensive, hard to reverse engineer, power
tricks are in the cylinder block and heads.

So, learn about metallurgy and CNC machining. *Make a custom crankcase
and crank for two in-line 4 blocks. *Presto! *A silky smooth, liquid
cooled, opposed 8 cyl 300 HP airplane engine. *The motorcycle-type
balanced crank throws eliminate a need for a flywheel and the 5:1
planetary PSRU fits in the nose case.

2.0 liter is probably overkill so look for a 500cc in-line 4.

How many engines have you built and flown?

I've re-built and flown a lot of aircraft engines - including an
Allison V-1710. I've also built a lot of racing engines for both cars
and motorcycles. I understand the good and bad of each.