Old March 30th 04, 05:35 PM
Ryan

I took a tour of Birmingham BHAM last year. They posted notices at the
FBO's of surrounding airports with a number to call to get a reservation and
had a large (30 people or so) group tour. It was very interesting. They
split us into small groups and it lasted a couple of hours. Got to visit
the tower, play with the light guns, watch the approach control guys in the
basement, and they even had a roundtable in a conference room discussing the
details of the airspace and which frequencies work best where. Very worth
my time on a Saturday morning. I was just finishing up my private license
and took my fiance with me. She got more out of it than I did - made her
feel more comfortable flying with me. Plus it made it easier for her to
know what's happening with I get VFR flight following, etc.

"dave" wrote in message
I met some of the controllers from KPNE at the FBO Christmas party last
December. They told me that they had just recently opened up for
student tous.
Dave
68 7ECA
Jay Honeck wrote:
Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have

been
giving tours for the last year.

Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
remains -- closed to tours.

Is there a rhyme or reason to this?