Old August 20th 03, 01:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The civil aviation regulations do not apply to the military (nor the
civilian government itself). Any compliance with the FAR's the
military services mandates is purely at their own discretion.

I don't know where you got that idea but it is simply not correct. We don't
have civil aviation regulations in the US, we have Federal Aviation
Regulations, and they apply to all; military, civilian, and civilian
government.

The Federal Aviation Act of 1958 gave the FAA sole responsibility for
developing and
maintaining a common civil-military system of air navigation and air traffic
control. The
Act contained an exception for military emergencies and procedures for use
in the event
of war, but outside of those situations, the military and the civilian
government complies with applicable FARs because they are required to do so.

FEDERAL AVIATION ACT OF 1958

TITLE I - GENERAL PROVISIONS

DECLARATION OF POLICY: THE ADMINISTRATOR

Sec. 103 [49 U.S. Code 1303]. In the exercise and performance of his
powers and duties under this Act the Administrator shall consider the
following, among other things, as being in the public interest:

(a) The regulation of air commerce in such manner as to best promote its
development and safety and fulfill the requirements of national defense;

(b) The promotion, encouragement, and development of civil aeronautics;

(c) The control of the use of the navigable airspace of the United
States and the regulation of both civil and military operations in such
airspace in the interest of the safety and efficiency of both;

(d) The consolidation of research and development with respect to air
navigation facilities, as well as the installation and operation thereof;

(e) The development and operation of a common system of air traffic
control and navigation for both military and civil aircraft.