Old March 9th 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default SPOT Tracking For 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole Lakes, Florida

On Mar 9, 4:37*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:38*am, MarkHawke7 wrote:

Today is the first contest day for the 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole
Lakes Gliderport in Florida. *There are 55 participants and 4 guests
on the contestants list. *Of those, we currently have 12 of the
participants who have SPOT Personal Trackers and are being tracked.
There may be more that will be added soon. *You can view the tracking
map at:http://www.soaringpilot.org/snspotmap.htm

Please note, this is still a capability in development but it has
worked reasonable well for the past 4 days or so as the early arrivals
flew each day. *I have requests for a similar capability for Perry and
the GTA Race series. *I will be putting those together in the next few
days.

-Mark (OA)

Oh geez. *Great Mark. *Just great. * Another excuse to decrease my
daytime productivity.

Good fun. *Thanks for doing this.

P3

Okay, so assuming that the site is working more-or-less correctly,
then it appears that the reliability of the SPOT fixes is a bit
suspect, no? Out of the dozen or so pilots flying with SPOT, it
seems as if about half of them were not transmitting for fairly long
periods of time or "dropped off" entirely. Maybe I'm missing the
details of how SPOT works, but I thought it was supposed to be "fire
and forget" - turn it on and it broadcasts your position at defined
intervals. Of course, it could just be that my ignorance is
showing...

P3