Old July 6th 16, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Contest scoring question

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:10:35 AM UTC+12, wrote:
On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 9:22:38 AM UTC-4, Gary Adams wrote:
Glider racing pilots (and fans) a question on contest scoring:

Remote vs On site.

Advantage vs. disadvantage?

Planning for a regional next year and looking for input from outside the "After we fly, beer in hand" opinions.

Gary Adams 'GB'

It is very important to have "robust" on-airport internet service. The problem arises after pilot arrival; the airport wifi becomes swamped with logs being sent to the contest scorer. It is even worse if pilots send their scores to an on-airport scorer's table where the logs are later uploaded to the remote scorer. Dedicated scoring wifi is a must. Perry struggled with this in April and John Good worked many hours trying to help. Being a consummate IT professional, John is an excellent "how-to" resource.

Times are changing, but there are still plenty of gliding fields without decent 3G coverage, let alone fixed broadband internet!

When I was one of the scorers at the 1995 Worlds in Omarama [1], I got the daily scores and contest director's report out by UUCP [2] dial-up on a long distance call to a computer in Wellington, 300 miles and Cook Strait away.. I also provided competitors and crews with individual temporary email accounts [3] on my PowerBook 100 laptop and let them read and type their email on it.

The amount of data was small enough, and UUCP efficient enough, that even with the slow modems then (2400 bps) the daily call was I think longer than 1 minute, but just barely.

[1] http://gei.aerobaticsweb.org/WORLD_9...ing_world.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP
[3] looking like