Old January 17th 05, 10:20 PM
Dave S

speculation: an organic vapor cartride should be adequate...

Comment based on professional experience: If you want to be assured of a
respirator doing its job, you need to be fit tested. If you ask really
nicely down at the local hospital's occupational health dept, or offer
to buy them lunch, you might be able to get them to do a saccharin fit
test for you. A HEPA filter is appropriate for the fit test session. If
you want a good fit you need a clean shaven face for the test and during
actual use (clean over the mask seal.. mustache is ok). For a non-IDLH
(non-deadly) atmosphere this should suffice. My background on this was
conducting testing for, and using equipment, in deadly atmospheres as
both a firefighter and an industrial safety vendor.

Dave

Jim Carriere wrote:
Hello group,
Who here has worked with MEK and other wonderful solvents? Where did
you get your respirator gear from, and what models? The filter ones
available in the chain "hardware" stores have fairly vague
specifications on the labels: usually suitable for aromatics, solvents,
etc. This is not something I wish to leave up to chance. Do I need to
fork over the big bucks on this one and pay for a forced air system?

Thanks in advance.