Old May 4th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Henry J Cobb

Default Boeing Offers Additional F/A-18 Sale to U.S. Navy

wrote:
On 4 Maj, 05:38, "rstro" wrote:

tell that to the carrier group when Chinese cruise missles are coming over
the horizon-- remember the Super Bug's AESA radar still is not working
properly--so......are you tell me a Super Bug with non ASEA radar and
AMRAAMS can handle that--oh--let's make that single seater F-18E .....
are there any drivers who have handled both the F-14D and Super Bug--what's
your view???

Certainly not a driver of any plane mentioned, but some observations
of mine:
1) Correct - AESA radar may surely be apt to show some deficiencies at
this phase of its introduction. Therefore I belive alternative FLIR/
IRST systems must still be developed.

The Super Hornet already has FLIR.

http://www.raytheon.com/products/atflir/
"Raytheon’s Advanced Targeting Forward Looking Infrared pod delivers
pinpoint accuracy and NoDoubt™ reliability for air-to-air and
air-to-ground mission support."
"Planned enhancements include:"
"Automatic target recognition"

Er, well give them a few years to work out the bugs and the super bugs
will be able to automatically alert the pilots should they actually spot
any cruise missiles. No doubt.

-HJC