Old March 9th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default motorgliders as towplanes

On 9 Mar 2009 08:30:04 GMT, Jim White wrote:

I think you need a very good surface to operate off and that the Grob (and
probably similar SLMGs) are too lightly built for anything more than
occasional tugging.

Their strength is completely sufficient for towing all dyearlong -
lots of clubs in Germany are using motorgliders as their primary tug
plane. The only problem is that they usually need a long grass or a
paved runway to be safe.

At BGC our tugs do c. 2000 cycles p.a. each. I doubt that a MG would stay
that pace.

No problem at all for a motorglider.