Old October 12th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Cable vs rope pulling glider from field

On Oct 12, 10:34*am, Auxvache wrote:
I'd like to make a stout wire cable or rope with proper TOST ring, to
have on hand should I have to tow my 15m glider from mud/soft dirt/
guano.
Is a metal cable necessary/preferable, or would high breaking-strength
rope be sufficient?
My only experience here (Chester loam, Pegase, and stick-shift BMW)
did not end well.
Thanks in advance,
Erik

You might consider keeping a Tost ring set in your glider, as part of
your landout kit. Nice to have when you want a local to help move
your glider to a different location for derigging, etc. Rope of some
sort is almost always available, but trying to use a rope loop in a
Tost release is an exercise in futility!

Kirk