Old August 13th 03, 08:51 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:58:42 -0500, "Highfllyer"
wrote:

Nah. The regulation says "properly rated in category and class". Category
and class is "single engine" and "land."

High performance signoff is an endorsement and not a rating and does not
change your "rating" in any way.

It is one of those things that is open to interpretation. Remember when the
safety pilot regs were written there were no such things as "endorsements"
for "complex or high performance."

I have no such "endorsements" in my logbooks and I doubt I ever shall. I
normally fly a 300 HP taildragger! :-)

Me neither and the FAA went on record some years ago that the safety
pilot does not have to have the high performance/complex
endorsement(s) As I mentioned earlier, I do take first time safety
pilots for me, out and give them a good familiarization on how to fly
the Deb.

Now as the safety pilot is "required" I could care less how they log
it. They are "to me", essentially PIC at least part of the time.
I enter their name in my log and leave it up to them how ever they
want to log it in theirs.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

"John T" wrote in message
ews.com...
"Jim" wrote in message

I "think" John Lynch's take on the question is that you must have the
appropriate endorsements to log PIC when acting as safety pilot. If
the safety pilot does not act as the legal PIC he/she does not need
the proper endorsements, however they may not log the safety pilot
time as PIC.

Yeah, I already posted a retraction on my first answer. SIC would be
allowed under these circumstances, though.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer