Old July 17th 04, 04:11 AM
C J Campbell

wrote in message ...

C J Campbell wrote:

G-1000. I had a difficult time maintaining my altitude; the altitude and
airspeed tapes just didn't seem to be in the right place for my scan. A
little practice would be necessary to get proficient.

Airline pilots that transitioned from "steam gauge" to the tape altimeters

and
V/S often had problems at first. But, those folks are type rated and

restricted
to type.

That's the problem with this new "gee wiz" Light A/C G/A stuff. No
standardization and no type requirements.

All the manufacturers that are offering the G-1000 that I know of include
enough training that it could be considered equivalent to a type rating. I
suspect insurance companies will require it for subsequent owners and
renters. Cessna is sending us the syllabi for training pilots in the G-1000
next week. On Tuesday I will try to wangle a demo flight in the G-1000
equipped 182 for comparison. Cessna's installation appears to have some
differences from the Diamond installation, such as the way it uses backup
batteries.

The funny thing about this is that so many planes are coming out with this
panel. Once you become familiar with it, the instrumentation on all these
different types will be virtually identical. A person familiar with G-1000
on one type would probably require far less time to transition to another
type than it used to take.