Old September 14th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Squat switches of some type are common on all retractable
gear airplanes built since WWII. But they can fail for
several reasons.
Some airplanes have a squat switch on only one gear strut,
later models of the same aircraft often added a second squat
switch. A gentle landing with an over-inflated strut might
not compress the strut enough to activate the switch (open)
or a bump can allow the strut to re-extend.

Most gear up landings are just that, the pilot did not put
the gear down. But gear can be retracted while on the
ground if the airplane has the right combination of
"problems" such as over-inflated struts, shorted squat
switches, hydraulic problems, , etc.

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
| Thomas Borchert writes:
|
| No. But who cares - you're not flying, you're simming.
|
| The whole idea of simulation is to approach real life,
whence the
| name.
|
| For landing, you don't want to accidentally touch the
wrong switch
| while in a hurry on the runway (e.g. the gear switch -
happens often).
| Your primary concern is to get off the runway. After
that, stop and
| complete the after landing checklist, which includes
flaps.

| Do aircraft commonly have mechanisms to prevent gear
retraction when
| the wheels are touching ground, or is it usually up to the
pilot not
| to do anything unwise?
|
| Your stall speed is reduced by the flaps by maybe 10 or
20 knots. If
| the wind is blowing enough for your stall speed to be a
factor - don't
| fly.
|
| I was under the impression that full flaps is a normal
configuration