Old September 14th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Jim Macklin wrote:
You can also use the flaps to "jump over" a fence or ditch
that you see at the last moment before a forced landing if
they are up for the glide.

Yes and that's one lesson I'll never forget. The instructor had me do a
power-off "short approach" and told me I was *not* allowed to apply
power no matter how bad I thought it was! The pucker factor increased
enormously and I could see the edge of the hill under the runway
looming. Certain that we were going to crash into it, I was begging to
add power. The instructor calmly demonstrated how to use flaps just to
get a few more feet and complete the landing. It was a good lesson but
I think he owes me some new underwear.