Old August 9th 05, 02:06 AM
George Patterson

W P Dixon wrote:

George do you not have a transponder? That would most definitely be a
problem.

Somewhere something got lost in here. Yes, I had a transponder with mode-C. It's
pretty necessary in this neck of the woods. And you wouldn't go under or over
class-B airspace without one in an aircraft like those I owned.

I thought we were discussing the sort of super class-B you described in which
the protected airspace goes down to the ground and up to the flight levels
throughout the area as an alternative to the ADIZ. I used to make runs from New
Jersey to Knoxville and once made a short trip to Asheville, flying under the
1500' floor of the old class-B. I have also on occasion flown directly over
Dulles at 10,500' or 11,500', back when the cap was 10,000'. I've even flown
directly over downtown DC, back when it was a "TCA" and the roof was something
like 7,000'.

To make those same Asheville and Tennessee runs today, I would have to file a
flight plan, get a squawk code, and get permission to enter the ADIZ. Turn it
into a super class-B, and I still need to get a squawk code and get permission
to enter, and, if it's anything like the old class-B was, I probably won't get
permission to enter if I haven't filed a flight plan.

What has the ADIZ cost me? About half an hour on a run to Tennessee, plus it
forces me to cut past the first ridge of the Appalachians. Weather in that
pocket could make the run impossible for a VFR pilot like myself. In that case,
a run around the ADIZ to the east would add about an hour to the trip. The super
class-B would do the same.

The ADIZ also cost me the ability to attend the picnics that the Natalies used
to host, though. Just *maybe* a class-B setup would allow for that.

George Patterson