Old September 14th 16, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NTSB Report: ATC Needs Better Emergency Training

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 7:32:33 AM UTC-5, Larry Dighera wrote:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...-226902-1.html
NTSB Report: ATC Needs Better Emergency Training
By Mary Grady

Air traffic controllers need better training in how to assist aircraft in
distress, the NTSB says in a report
http://ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/ASR1604.aspx released
this week. The safety recommendation is based on an analysis of five general
aviation accidents, from 2012 to 2015, in which seven people were killed. In
each case, the pilot was communicating with ATC but the controller either
failed to provide adequate assistance or instructed the pilot to take actions
that made the situation worse, according to the NTSB. The FAA should develop a
required national training program to ensure that all controllers have training
that is “current and relevant,” the NTSB said, and includes lessons learned
from recent events.

Sure, when I have a warning light on my CAR I just dial 911 and the operator will guide me to the proper wires to jiggle, NOT. ATC is not the auto club for weekend flyers. At best Cessna et. all should set up emergency customer service operators that a wounded flyer can be patched into via the radio, and PAY for the assistance like Sears Appliance repair.