Old March 20th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Mainwheel bearing service / greasing?

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 3:21:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
My friend who has a 26E told me he recently disassembled his main wheel bearing as the wheel was noisy when landing, he felt it lacked grease and after regreasing and reassembling he reports the wheel is much quieter.
In my (31) Maintenance manual there is no mention of greasing the main bearing in the Lubrication Sheme (Section 8)
But in section 2 (Description of equipment) there is only this:

2.5.4 Maintenance of Landing Gear and Wheel Brake
Main Landing Gear
The maintenance of the main wheel is confined to visual inspection of
the tire, wheel rim, disc brake and shock absorber element. If badly
soiled, the landing gear should be cleaned immediately.
Also: do not forget to clean and lubricate the wheel bearings and shock
absorber bearings.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Forgive me if this has been a topic in the past, I looked through the site and the Technical site but could not find anything there.
Regards
Ed Marel
31047

As I recall (and my recall is getting worse each year....) the ASH26E has sealed deep groove ball bearings. They should not be lubed, but rather replaced when beyond their service life.