Old July 13th 04, 10:22 AM
Cub Driver

I can imagine that looking at a roster of American military
the Germans might have wondered aloud at the irony.
Eisenhower for instance?

Well, they put about that he was Jewish. Same with Roosevelt.
(Actually, a lot of Americans believed that of FDR.)

Just as all Americans are the offspring of immigrants, and many have
close ties to another country, so are all Europeans the product of
migrations and conquests over the centuries, and many can trace their
parentage to another country. My son-in-law is English, but both of
his father's parents were Scots (not an important distinction, to an
American, but I assure you it is to a Scot), and his mother's family
have German roots. And note that the English are called Anglo-Saxon,
referring to two Germanic tribes.

I went backcountry skiing in Canada with a young woman guide whose
name was McDonald, pronounced Mac-donn-all. Her family were of the
"habitants" and did not speak English, being thoroughly French save
for the surname.

Then there famously was Louis Battenberg, who changed his name to
Mountbatten during World War I.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum