Old August 25th 05, 05:15 AM
BTIZ

Local flight school does complete Students in 40-45 hours.
They have to in order to keep the Air Force FIT contract.
If they can't follow the syllabus and the student cannot complete in 45
hours, the student is not qualified for Air Force pilot training.

They do get the ham fisted, or those that fly less than once per week
average.. that take 65-80 hours.

BT
completed in 42.. I wasted a couple of solo hours..
but that was over 30yrs ago when the C-150 was $18/hr WET

"Ray" wrote in message
80 hours is a hell of a long time. If I had to guess, I'd say you
dragged it out over too long a period, calendar wise.

I flew twice a week and towards the end three times a week. The average
at my club seems to be about 70 hours and I've never heard of anyone at my
home airport who's finished in under 60. I've also heard unsubstantiated
reports that the national average (in the US) is about 60 hours now. I
know I took longer than a lot of people, but that's what it took for me to
feel absolutely comfortable with my abilities. I probably could have
passed the checkride earlier, but I wanted to be over prepared.

My point is that if a student starts training with the expectation that it
will take only 40 hours, he or she is likely to get frustrated (possibly
to the point of quitting) if it ends up taking a lot longer. Also, if the
student only budgets for 40 hours of flying, money could become a factor
towards the end of the training and that's never a good thing.

- Ray