Old February 19th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Organizational Skills Required During Instrument Flight

On Feb 19, 3:28 am, "tscottme" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Not me, at least not reliably. I hope that I get smarter and can
devote more brain cell cycles to short term memory once I get better
at flying the plane by reference to instruments! In the mean time
it's safer for me to write everything down. These responses are
giving me hope that this won't always be the case!

The more you fly the more you will come to anticipate what to expect. That
makes remembering things far easier than when you are a student. This
change is akin to learning a new language. As a native English speaker I
don't have to decode every utterance of someone and match it up with the one
right word in an English dictionary. Once you engage in conversation you
will take special note of the important words with meaning. If you were to
try to have the same conversation in another language you would have to
devote vast mental energy to every syllable and try to rapidly assemble the
collection of syllables into words as you scrambled to remember the English
meaning of those sounds. That would be a lot of hard work for anyone doing
the same thing. Most of the problem you are is having to rapidly recognize
and decode unusual items with almost no ability to anticipate what is coming
next.

--

Scott

I know this is at least partially true. I learned to fly at an
uncontrolled field, so at first I had limited exposure to the ATC
lingo and was frequently tongue tied. I am now based at a Class D
airport, so I've gotten much better at VFR verbiage. I know my IFR
language skills are still dismal (what did he just say?). The
combination of so much thought going into actually flying the
airplane, adjusting the radios, reading the approach, and having ATC
say something I wasn't expecting can put me in brain overload
sometimes! Practice, practice, practice!!!