Old February 16th 05, 11:19 AM
Don Johnstone

You are absolutely correct we do teach the downwind
to base as you describe for the reasons you state.
My experience is that it does work and makes it easier
for a low hours student to judge position and helps
to reduce the possibility of getting out of gliding
range.
While I always taught the 45 degree diagonal, like
many other pilots I use a constant radius turn from
downwind to approach which is even better in my opinion.
This is more difficult to teach which is probably why
a compromise was reached. I don't use the constant
turn if by doing so I would conflict with those using
the diagonal.

At 09:00 16 February 2005, Pete Brown wrote:
I am told that in the UK and Europe, most pilots have

adopted a 45 deg. diagonal leg between downwind to
base in
the pattern some time ago. In the US, most instructors
and
most of the gliding texts still teach a rectangular
pattern.

A principal advantage is supposed to be that the pilot
can
better keep an eye on the touchdown point at all times
and
more readily gauge the glide path to touchdown.

Does anyone know if this pattern has in fact reduced
landing
accidents, especially during off field landings? Are
there
any reliable statistics to support claims of its benefits?

Thanks,

Pete

--

Peter D. Brown