Old April 17th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default slightly OT - NASA ER-2

"BTIZ" wrote in message
interesting to know which plane the last 3 pictures are of?
definitely not the same as the first that could be the U-2
much different wing profile
BT

The later pictures are of a B-57, and I'm pretty sure it is a B-57F. The
B-57D looks similar, but I *think* all of them have been retired.

These aircraft are B-57's in nomenclature only. They share a similar
planform with non-recon B-57's, but the airframe, engines, and wings are far
different than the rest of the B-57 family.

I sat in on a forum at Oshkosh once upon a time where a B-57F driver told
some of his tales. The short version was that he saw some interesting
sights from as high as 82,000'.. The airplane can be configured two ways.
Typically the airplane has two engines. It is flown in that configuration
to maximize range and endurance. In addition, two pod mounted engines can
be bolted on below the wings if the mission's focus requires absolute
maximum altitude.

NASA and the CIA fly (or flew) these aircraft.

KB