Old January 18th 05, 06:29 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Jim,

The suggestion of how to fabricate an inexpensive fresh air mask is a
good one, but don't be afraid of single or twin cartridge respirator
masks. An automotive paint store will have the organic type filters and
well fitting masks that will work perfectly for these paint solvents. A
whiff of MEK or acetone or any other paint thinner is not going to
destroy your liver. If your mask shifts so that it is not sealing
properly you will smell the solvent and correct the problem.

The one disadvantage I find with the fresh air mask is having to deal
with the hose following me around as I duck and bend to shoot paint on
all the parts. I improved my home made system by using small tube from my
compressor, 1/4", at 90 psi to an adjustable valve attached to my belt.
The valve let me regulate the pressure and flow to the modified mask and
only a small tube followed me around the fuselage as I painted. The only
time I use the fresh air mask is when shooting two part urethane because
it contains isocyanates. Epoxies an solvent based paints are completely
filtered by the charcoal type organic filter cartridges.

Jim Carriere wrote:

Hello group,
Who here has worked with MEK and other wonderful solvents? Where did
you get your respirator gear from, and what models? The filter ones
available in the chain "hardware" stores have fairly vague
specifications on the labels: usually suitable for aromatics,
solvents, etc. This is not something I wish to leave up to chance.
Do I need to fork over the big bucks on this one and pay for a forced
air system?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"