Old October 4th 05, 04:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"George Patterson" wrote in message
news:ZQl0f.5376$MO2.3022@trndny09...
Matt Barrow wrote:

A turbo'ed engine is built more "solidly" than a normally aspirated.

This would not be true of an engine which has had a turbo-charger added,
would it?

It would be true for a factory turbo, but not an STC add-on I imagine.

The IO-520 in the Beech F33's is different internally from the TSIO-520 in
the B36-TC. Unfortuantely, it was not ideal, so the best upgrade is the
TNIO-550, especially ones from such engine shops as Superior Airparts or
Western Skyways.

I see, for example, that the Commander that AOPA is renovating this year
just had a turbo added via STC.

I believe that's a Turbo Alley turbonormalizer, not a Turbo "supercharger".
If not, I suspect the STC might require some "beefing up" of certain parts.

--
Matt

Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.