Old February 3rd 21, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 1:26:10 PM UTC-8, David Scott wrote:
I DON'T mean to stir up trouble on this forum with this question, especially being new, but have been wondering about this for some time. I am wondering how feasible it would be to do this with either a homebuilt or experimental glider here in the US?

I figure this has been asked but didn't find any threads on it.

I assume that you are talking about a glider registered experimental. The major obstacle beyond design, implementation and testing, is to get an AI to sign off on a conditional inspection. I would consult with that AI before you start modifying the glider. You may also have to hire a DAR (designated airworthiness representative). Again, doing this before modifying the glider is highly advisable. Another resource is the EAA. Look up this webinar (https://www.eaa.org/videos):
Webinar- Building an Aircraft - What You Need to Know
You will need to be an EAA member to watch it. Charlie Becker is the presenter and he is presumably building an electric glider, so he could be a great resource.

Tom