Old February 3rd 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 4:26:10 PM UTC-5, David Scott wrote:
I DON'T mean to stir up trouble on this forum with this question, especially being new, but have been wondering about this for some time. I am wondering how feasible it would be to do this with either a homebuilt or experimental glider here in the US?

I figure this has been asked but didn't find any threads on it.

Having done this I can provide you with the following guidance .
It can be done in the experimental category
It is a major change and will invalidate the AW certificate.
Getting a replacement certificate will requi
1) Review of the engineering and execution of the modification by a DAR. I doubt any FSDO would issue without some other entity taking responsibility.
2) Current condition inspection after modification
3) Revised flight and maintenance manual pages and proposed operating limitations affected by the change .
4) Inspection by an airworthiness inspector from the affected FSDO or MIDO.
5) Issuance of a new AW certificate and operating limitations including limitations for phase 1 flight testing.
6) After completion of phase 1, and pilot certification of normal characteristics, it should be able to be flown in accordance with the "usual" operating limitations that are issued for the category.
As to the issue of feasibility, it is very much affected by the knowledge and experience of the person doing the modification nand resources available to that individual .
To my knowledge this has been done once so far in the US .
If you want an electric sailplane- buy one.
FWIW
UH