Old May 26th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default preferrred bank angle indicator?

Matt Herron Jr. schrieb:

As a low time pilot (150 hrs) I have been alarmed at the number of
recent incidents relating to getting trapped in clouds. In reading
though some old posts on this forum, I have concluded that even though
everyone has the best intention of never getting into clouds, it still
can happen to even the most experienced pilots.

First, not every pilot tries to stay out of cluds. There are many (me
included), who enter clouds by purpose and for the fun of it. Of course,
we're appropriately trained and the glider is appropriately equipped.

Second, those who want to stay out of cluds can do so. No, it cannot
"happen to even the most experienced pilots" if you fly on the safe
side. Of course, there are always pilots who gamble.

I was encouraged to see that there were some viable options for getting
out of the clouds alive, including the benign spiral, flying south by
compas and using turn errors to maintain a heading with dive brakes,
using GPS heading and groundspeed,

Believing in these "vialble options" is what I call gambling.

and T&B indicators.

The *only* reliable option.

From what was
writtten, I don't consider a spin a safe option anymore,

Many modern gliders won't stay in a spin but rather go into a spiral
dive rather quick. No option.

I noticed the TruTrak spins up in 3 seconds, gives an acurate bank
angle even if powered on in a turn, and uses relatively little power.

No, TruTrak does *not* give you a bank angle. It gives you a turn rate.
Relying on an instrument without fully understandiing it is what I call
gambling.

Does anyone have an opinion about this instrument

I hate it, exactly because it seems to give you a bank angle while it
does not.

or others that would do the trick?

Buy a real old fashioned turn & bank indicator and get some training.
Without training, you're lost in IMC even with the best instruments. Or,
better yet, fly safe and don't let you get trapped. It's possible.

Stefan