Old May 26th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default preferrred bank angle indicator?

Lots of good feedback for me. Thanks! I think (as suggested) that I
can stay clear of Cu. What concerns me is wave flying. As I
understand it, I could be well clear (upwind) of the clouds by my 2000
ft, and then within seconds, slightly wetter air comes in from upwind
and condenses, and suddenly everything goes white...

Stefan said:
"No, TruTrak does *not* give you a bank angle. It gives you a turn
rate.
Relying on an instrument without fully understandiing it is what I call

gambling. "

Would this instrument then not be useful for keeping the wings level in
clouds? I can imagine in uncoordinated flight, like a forward slip,
the wings would be banked, but the turnrate would be zero...

Matt