Old January 7th 04, 04:23 PM
Rocky

"Bob" wrote in message .. .
Seems like a bit of collective might have helped too.
Bob

Bob
No question they were pulling collective but how much and when? I
think if a pilot is only flying one type of machine and does a few
practice autos it should be a no brainer. But, if a pilot is flying
several different types or models, they can get into trouble real
easy. For example, I was doing a lot of work in a Hiller 12E, and then
jumped into a UH1. Tremendous difference in auto characteristics
especially at the bottom and flare attitude. At the time I was flying
the Hiller, a Bell 47 variant called a Tomcat MK6, a 206B, and the
UH1.
It was hard enough keeping the starting procedures straight let alone
the emergency ones! These were all in spraying operations at the time.
Add to that the mix of flying both an Ag Cat and a Cessna AgHusky and
it really can get confusing. I nearly wiped myself out trying to do a
helicopter spray turn in an Ag Cat when I had to jump from one into
the other. Yahoooo......!!
Rocky