Old October 7th 03, 11:03 AM
Bruno Ramseyer

"John Mason" wrote in message ...
I intend to buy a state of the art new glider and I was looking at this
choice.

My main priority is to enjoy the flying and so I want good performance, nice
handling and safe behaviour (no incipient spin tendency to keep me on edge).
I am not sure if I will loose a lot of climb performance if I go for a self
launcher as they are clearly heavier than a turbo, is the convenience worth
loosing the advantage of the low min weight? I Am flying in the UK mainly
and so small feeble thermals are the rule.

Can those who have flown these aircraft please let me have their comments
and help with my decision.

Thanks.

John,

Turbo in my opinion is good for most requirements. It will get you
home if you miss the last thermal in the evening. It will get you
across a blue patch or will get you to those Cu you can only see in
the distance. No use in strong winds or downwinds you may have in
mountains or in wave, getting you through rainshowers but neither will
the SLMG. With the comps rules now changed in the UK you are no longer
penalised when having a Turbo. Increase in Wingloading is negligible
in a 18m ship and if the thermals are so weak that you are not able to
climb you still can pop out the Turbo. If you are looking at buying a
new glider my practically new ship is for sale
http://www.tcw.ie/for_sale.htm

Regards
Bruno