Old August 8th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default Tinted canopies desirable?

On Aug 7, 10:06*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. *Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

Comments?

Eric
ER

If you fly in the desert you will have daily battles with heat from
May-September so I'd recommend a tinted canopy. I've had tinted
canopies on all my gliders, flying in AZ, NV, CA and UT, and have
never had visibility problems. The tinted canopies look a lot darker
when viewed from the outside because you are looking through two
layers of plastic. From the inside they considerably less dark. Go sit
in a glider with one at the end of a soaring day.

9B