View Single Post
Old May 18th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Parachute use in single seat gliders

My Libelle POH minimum required equipment list states that "Either a parachute, or a cushion with a thickness of 4 in. in compressed state" is required

Robert

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 4:04:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:41:03 AM UTC-7, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
I fly a Kestrel 19 in Canada. The Type Certificate states that a back-type parachute must be worn. Odd, since it's a British aircraft and the British TC does not have this on the Minimum Equipment List (nor does the TC issued by the FAA).

I have not seen a parachute listed on the MEL for any of my club's gliders, so I'm guessing the Kestrel 19 is special?

The Kestrel 19 is the only glider I've found with that in the type certificate. As far as I can tell all the German gliders have as part of the minimum equipment in the Canadian type certificate either a back type parachute or a cushion (of a specified thickness). I suspect that someone made a slip up when preparing the Canadian type certificate for the Kestrel 19. On the other hand all the references to repacking of parachutes in the CAR's I can find seem to specify that the chute must have been repacked within six months prior to the parachute descent. This seems to imply that if you fly in Canada wearing a chute that was repacked seven months ago you're legal until you bail out... There could very well be other regulations in there somewhere but I haven't found them - the CAR's are not exactly easy to search through.