Old July 21st 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8:39:35 AM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
God bless Marek and his family. Condolences to all.

I am reading this and other related threads intensely.

I am a low time mountain pilot. Flying the Logan UT, mountain Soaring and OLC camp last August was my first mountain Soaring.

I was encouraged to fly dual with another more seasoned pilot, before flying on my own, which I did. We spent most of a day Soaring the area both flying off the mountains as well as valley thermals.

It was a great experience. I appreciated the opportunity to learn.

I'd like to do some more mountain dual. The USA mountain Soaring and OLC camp was a great experience. Where, in the U.S. can I get more of the same?

I think the only other actual mountain Soaring training in the U.S. is Minden?

I am interested in any additional mountain training or dual experience I can get as a fledgling cross country pilot.

Maybe there should be more mountain flying camps in the U.S. In certain areas of Europe mountain flying and training seems to be much more prevalent..

I continue to read these threads with great interest. I am setting very conservative mountain flying standards for myself.
Keep airspeed up.
Figure 8 only until well above the ridge
Be alert and ready for turbulence or upsets.
Listen to local knowledable pilots and seek their advice before flying.

Mike - 1M

AirSailing north of Reno, Nv offers a Thermal and X-country Camp every year except for this one. It offers the mountain flying experience in local flights, where as Minden the ridge soaring is a bit far away on the Pine Nuts.. Both offer wave and the ability to begin long cross country flights over the Sierras and to The Whites. The Whites are particular dangerous that have claimed many lives in gliders and hang gliding over the years. Flying next to steep terrain is particularly filled with gotchas. I instruct in these areas and teach the closer to the rock you fly the faster you must fly for control reasons. Never make turns towards the ridge, always away. And lastly always have an escape plan, if **** happens. In Hawaii flying a 23 meter ASW 17, I have gone nearly inverted near Mtn. Kahala in the lee of a ridge. Lucky I had more than a 1000ft underneath me to recover.