Old March 5th 04, 10:11 PM
Waduino

Totally fascinating read.

I'm new to soaring and have to think that playing around in this way could
be a whole lot more fun than trying to make it to some distant point and
then having to get a lift back. Got to find out more.
Thanks.

---

"Gary Osoba" wrote in message
om...
Tuesday morning of this week, OSTIV President Loek Boermans sent me a
message indicating that the International Gliding Congress assembled
at Lausanne, Switzerland, had voted to accept the OSTIV-proposed
definition and creation of a new class of gliders- MIcrolift.

Professor Boermans introduced the proposal and shared some pertinent
observations and recommendations in this regard from Paul MacCready.
He then introduced Professor Piero Morelli who answered questions and
detailed the proposal.

Professor Morelli was voted to receive the Lilienthal medal- gliding's
highest honor- at the meeting in Madrid, Spain, this coming fall. He
has worked tirelessly for decades in glider development and
certification issues, and is the retired chairman of OSTIV's Sailplane
Dvelopment Panel.

You may download a copy of Morelli's paper "Why MIcrolift Soaring" as
well as another paper by Eric DeBoer detailing possible new types of
competitive venues at:

http://ozreport.com/data/WhyMicroliftSoaring.pdf

Best Regards,
Gary Osoba