Old December 26th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default ME Insurance

That would probably be the Aztec A or B models. Limited numbers, expensive
prop AD's, and many dis-similar parts to the much more numerous later
models. Unless the props have been replaced with non-AD hubs/props and some
interior, paint, and avionics upgrades have been performed, they are
basically worth the value of the engines. By the time you spend that much
on a twin that old, you'll be lucky if you can find an insurance agency
willing to insure the hull for what you've put into it. I know of a local B
model that was offered for sale @ $60k over a year ago... last ad I saw had
it listed for less than $30k. A sharp scrapyard can get a lot more out of it
in parts.

Our lowest time partner is a PPL-IA-SEL-MEL. He had about 200 hours when he
did his MEL. First years insurance on our Aztec with $88k hull cost us
$4600 IIRC. Getting the rating only takes a weekend. If I had any
insurance questions, it wouldn't be about cost or if I could get insurance
before I received the rating, it would be "What twins can I get insurance in
as a pilot with these ratings and with these times?" I'm sure we wouldn't
have gotten any company to take us if we had first bought a C421 or an
Aerostar with only 10-15 hours MEL time. (if they did, they would have
forced us to live with a MEI with lots of hours in make/model before ever
turning us loose)

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Parts availability makes a difference as well. My insurance broker was
telling me there is some very inexpensive Piper twin out there that is
very old and not many parts. Any accident ends up being a total so the
rates are very high.

-Robert