View Single Post
Old December 13th 19, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

If a guy was going to put in a year of concentrated flying, going for some records or personal goals, the yearly price deal is not unreasonable, in facts its pretty good if one considers getting unlimited tow-backs to Minden.

But I remember a time when a guy got all the help staging and recovering from the operators there at Minden free, just part of the service. Along with that came free camping on the x’ed off runway, along with no tie down fees and no add-on fees of any kind. Along with no bull**** rules from multiple “soaring associations”. Incidentally, those were days that had 3 times the soaring activity there, than whats present today. I remember, even as a struggling college kid I could afford a weekend tow, and the Stowers bro’s would cut me a tow deal if I helped stage machines. I remember in the evenings, when Carl Herold would talk to me for hours about the days flight, freely giving a kid pointers on how to interpret and deal with great basin soaring over a bear next to his camper parked out on the line. I remember Marcel Goudinat teaching me all I needed to know about wave flying and not charging me $450 for the “mandatory check out”.

Back then it was not all about the money.