Old March 17th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul J. Adam[_3_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

In message , Bill Kambic
writes
Remember, too, the old saw: Amatuers study tactics; professionals
study logistics. There is no way the KM could have protected the sea
lift necessary to make any invasion possible.

Of course we see these things with the aid of 20/20 hindsight. At the
time I suspect there was more "fog of war" involved in decision
making.

There was a fair amount of realism on the German side: the Kriegsmarine
were trying to get out of the operation, or to make sure that if it
happened its failure wasn't their fault. The Army leapt at it, then
tried to leap back as they realised it was more than just an opposed
river crossing. The Luftwaffe is more complex and you wonder how much of
their planning and politicking depended on Goering's morphine intake on
any given day...

--
He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

Paul J. Adam