Old October 7th 04, 05:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter R. wrote:

So, I was wrong, and to boot I have another repair I need to make to my
headsets.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that my 25XL does permit this...or perhaps I
have a screw - I mean a nut - loose too.

My 25XLs were flawless for perhaps over 200 hours (not sure exactly when I
bought them) of rental/club use (ie. living in my flight bag; not in an
airplane). I recently started to have that funny microphone jack problem,
and called for repair.

I found that I could either upgrade to include the cellular phone plug or
trade-in for a 3G (or just have the jack fixed, but I really wanted the
cell phone feature). I chose the upgrade rather than the trade-in. So
far, it sounds like a good choice.

Has anyone made serious use of the cellular phone feature? The one time I
tried it out (engine running on the ground, I called my office) it was
somewhat problematic. I could barely hear the person to whom I was
speaking. It was as if the "mute when radio traffic occurs" feature had
engaged.

I have to add, though, that I liked the old battery box over the new one.
The new one has no immediate indication that the set is on (one has to
watch for a blinking light), and I've found myself turning the headset
on/off in flight with my knee.

It seems as if they took some steps backwards in the ergonomic department.

- Andrew