Old June 1st 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Gasohol

Ken Finney wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:

IF I ever get a plane, all these silly fuel issues would be a real
irritant. I haven't been paying much attention to the new diesel
aircraft engines becoming available. Since I should be making my
own biodiesel by the end of this Summer (for something less than
45 cents a gallon), are any of the new diesels in the O-200/Rotax
912 class?

You'll never get an STC to put it in a certified aircraft. Better
start thinking experimental.

I already am, but there an STC for diesels in 172s.

Diesels and diesels running Freedom Fry grease are going to require
two very different STCs. Robert posted a link to a outfit with a
Biodiesel STC but I couldn't get the link to work.

As much of the diesel fuel sold today as some biodiesel mixed with
it, I'd hope that the engines being sold are certified for
petrodiesel, biodiesel, and any combination thereof. "Freedom Fry
grease" (aka WVO = waste vegetable oil or SVO = straight vegetable
oil) is a different animal than biodiesel.

Aren't most if not all of the certified diesel engines certified for JetA
and not auto-diesel.