Old July 8th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Carousel hangar

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 2:56:03 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 2:30:40 PM UTC-5, J. Nieuwenhuize wrote:
Interesting thinking, never seen something like it before. Might make a lot of sense for soaring centers and clubs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz6o0LYcroc

Ed Byars designed and built one for his 5 GA planes at his house in SC, about 20 years ago. The carousel is motorized with his own design for a control panel labeled "Dial a Plane".

The carousel design is elegant but if you look at hangar concepts objectively it turns out to be less space efficient than long hangars with doors all down the sides, the gliders entering from either side in staggered positions and interlocking tails, and the high wing of each glider overlapping the low wing of its neighbours. (Like the two private owner hangers we have built for a total of 40 gliders at Portmoak and the ones at Omaroma and other places - albeit with different structures).

The more conventional concept also has the huge advantage of being able to work on your glider, or attach charging cables etc, or leave equipment next to it, without impeding the entry or exit of other gliders - all things I would hate to be unable to do.

John Galloway