Old November 11th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Winter glider storage?

On Nov 11, 11:39*am, soartech wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on would would be a good way to store a glider
trailer outdoors in winter? Remove the battery or keep it on trickle
charge? How about covering the trailer with a large tarp? Leaving a
small electric heater on low (500 Watts) to keep it slightly warmer
and drier?

Drive it down to Arizona and keep flying in winter! Guaranteed warmer
and dryer than Chicago.

Seriously, I would remove batteries and keep them in a warm dry
environment. Not sure if the tarp wouldn't trap more moisture than it
would keep out. Years ago, I had to keep electronics dry in a small
(4'x4'x4') metal enclosure in a very cold wet environment and found
that using two 60-watt light bulbs in series worked quite well. 500
watts sounds a bit high. There are a number of heating products now
that might work, including heating tape.

Mike