Old February 1st 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Feb 1, 7:10*am, Sarah wrote:
Well, I knew this would be a get-out-your-popcorn thread, and it did
not disappoint. *You got a lot of good advice and some bad...

I'll chip in as an LS6 owner, who's never flown a '20.

The LS6 is another glider you wear rather than get in - space is
tight, for me especially headroom. *There is a moment of
claustrophobia for me when the canopy first closes! * I'm 5'10. * You
may need to take out the backrest.

Easy to fly and land, with a couple points. *That "0 incidence wing"
can be interesting on takeoff, as the roll seems to take forever. *You
do not have to mess with negative flaps for aileron control though -
the full span flaperons are wonderful at all speeds. *However I would
not want to try a 0-flap takeoff. *The POH says +5 or +10 with water -
leave them so until after release. * Speed control in the landing
pattern is important, so get some training in a slippery 2-place.

On Jan 30, 7:06*pm, binks wrote:

I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. *All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy- Hide quoted text -

+ a bunch on a flapped glider not likely killing you. When I bought
my Speed Astir, which doesn't handle nearly as nicely as the ASW 20 or
the LS6, I had 48 hours in a 2-33, 18 hours in a 1-26, 10 hours in a
Grob 103, and 1.8 hours in an LS4. I never had any issues. (until I
had over 200 hours in it, and got cocky!). The Speed Astir is another
glider you wear, which is a huge incentive for me to NOT gain weight,
as I'm at the upper limit of fitting right now, at 5'10" and 208 lbs.
Condition and trailers being equal (or close), I'd pick the ASW20,
mostly because DG has me worried about support.